PCL is a group of independent construction companies owned by more than 4,400 employee shareholders across the United States, Canada and Australia. PCL Industrial Constructors Inc. is one of the major contractors on the ConocoPhillips Surmont 2 oil production project.
Superior Propane installed SMART* TankTM wireless tank sensors to eliminate the need of manually checking every propane tank. All tanks are monitored remotely. Text and email notifications with up-to-date fuel levels of each tank are sent daily.
Benefits of the solution are numerous as described by Scott Sharun, PCL Procurement Manager:
- Neither PCL nor Superior Propane is required to manually check the tanks. With a critical level of 15%, there’s plenty of time for Superior Propane to arrange to get on site to fill tanks virtually eliminating the possibility of a run-out. “We’re going to see some significant savings as well as ROI and productivity improvement.”
- New reporting tools and data that was previously uncaptured. “Now I can look at a project like Surmont 2 and provide my estimating department true relative costs. It’s very useful to be able to see the numbers at the end of the day.”
- Better administrative management. “Email notification and daily level reporting gives us an electronic, historical place to see when the tanks were filled. This means our accountants have their three-way match without somebody having to sign off.”
- Better communication when trailers move as the project progresses. “In the past, when trailers were moved, the driver checking tanks wouldn’t always be notified. With [SMART* Tank], we know exactly where all the tanks are at all times.”
- Health and safety concerns greatly mitigated with fewer hours spent driving around.
“It just helps PCL demonstrate to our clients why we’re a strong contractor,” said Sharun. “The tanks, the sensors, the effective teamwork… all these things move together to ensure things are happening the way we want them to. And that’s always a good thing.”
“We’re going to see some significant savings as well as ROI and productivity improvement.”
“Email notification and daily level reporting gives us an electronic, historical place to see when the tanks were filled. This means our accountants have their three-way match without somebody having to sign off.”