Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
Propane safety often comes down to common sense.
Let your children know it’s important to:
- Never turn on propane appliances without parental supervision.
- Keep papers and toys away from furnaces, space heaters and fireplaces.
- Never play on or around propane storage tanks.
- Stay away from shut-off valves.
Understanding Carbon Monoxide
Propane appliances, like any other gas appliance, can produce carbon monoxide if not properly maintained or if there is not enough ventilation. Carbon monoxide is a colourless and odourless gas. If you are exposed to carbon monoxide, you may experience some or all of these symptoms:
- Headaches, tightness across the forehead and temples
- Weariness, weakness, dizziness and vomiting
- Loss of muscular control
- Watering and smarting of the eyes
If you note any of these symptoms in yourself or anyone around you, get into fresh air immediately, see your doctor for treatment and have your propane appliances checked and repaired as needed.